Should You Buy Name-Brand OxiClean Or Bulk Sodium Percarbonate?

Last year, I tested whether OxiClean is better than generic oxygen bleach. Somewhat surprisingly, name-brand OxiClean was the clear winner. Now, I want to see how OxiClean fares against sodium percarbonate (the active ingredient in OxiClean) I ordered from a chemical supply merchant (for ordering information, scroll down).




Price

  • A 3-pound tub of OxiClean costs about $7.50. That's $2.50/lb.
  • 10 pounds of sodium percarbonate costs roughly $24.00 on Amazon (shipping is free).
    That's $2.40/lb.


Methodology

  1. I added an arbitrary amount of blue gel food coloring to a jar of water, and mixed until the gel was fully dissolved. 
  2. I poured 253 g of the colored water into two glasses.
  3. I added ¼ tsp of sodium percarbonate to the glass on the left, and I added ¼ tsp of OxiClean to the glass on the right.
  4. I stirred both mixtures for 2 minutes.
  5. See results below.


0 min:

after stirring 2 minutes:

3 min:

4 min:

5 min:

6 min:

7 min:
Sodium percarbonate solution is nearly clear at 7 minutes.




22 min:

37 min:

46 min:
OxiClean solution is nearly clear at 46 minutes.

Conclusion

No contest. Bulk sodium percarbonate is cheaper than OxiClean and MUCH more effective. Some of my friends commented that it's not worth ordering from Amazon just to save 10 cents per pound, but that's missing the point. Sodium percarbonate is MUCH stronger than OxiClean, so you can use about 1/5th as much and get the same result.

Where To Buy

You can order 10 lbs of sodium percarbonate (the active ingredient in OxyClean) for about $24 including free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HEX7UP4

Comments

  1. I will order sodium percarbonate on Amazon. Your blog is interesting (funny?), enjoyed to read. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every cent counts, However you aren't just saving few cents but also time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts